nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rootstock under meyers lemon

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rootstock under meyers lemon
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:31:07 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Tony,
Yes, I was fishing for a better method than mine. I use a tracked fork
loader, wrap a log chain around the forks, then push the forks along the
ground and once the chain has a good drip on the base of the bush, I lift up
and it pulls up most of the cord roots. A few sprouts come up from remaining
roots, but glyphosate will kill them. Glyphosate won't kill large plants
because there is not enough leaf surface to absorb enough of the chemical.
You want to be very careful burning a pile of torn out bushes - they are
loaded with citrus oil. Once they dry for a week, they burn like solid
gasoline, I had a jet of blue flame 100 feet tall my first summer when I
torched a pile of them one dead calm morning - sounded like a jet engine.
Jim