nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rootstock under meyers lemon

  • From: Tony Adrian <nursingdata@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rootstock under meyers lemon
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:49:00 -0500

We have Trifoliate established as an invasive throughout the woods behind us. The flowers are abundant, very pretty, but only lightly scented for a citrus. The bees appear to like them. The fruit is worthless. The thorns are so large and sharp I had to replace the front tires (plural) on my farm tractor with 19 ply jet airplane tires filled with foam. Every time I'd try to clip the trails thru the woods, no matter how careful I mowed around and attempted to avoid these monsters, I always got multiple punctures.

These things are a hazard. If you are mowing and aren't aware it is easy to get slapped by a branch as it is pulled loose from another tree or shrub. The risk of serious injury is very high. When I say serious injury I mean a trip to the emergency room and perhaps some inpatient time as well.

If you see them starting in your area I would strongly advise getting them out ASAP.

Tony
Opelousas, LA
Zone 8 (right between A & B)
Trifoliate Orange (Poncirus trifoliata) can grow to a large citrus tree. The
juvenile spines are thin, but on the mature tree they are stout and up to 2.5
inches long. Here it is hardy to 5 degrees. The fruit is very seedy and the
pulp is very tart - with much effort, the fruit can be made into marmalade or
lemonade. They are hard to eradicate once established.

Jim Nottke
near Winston-Salem, NC Z7