nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rootstock under meyers lemon

  • From: "V. Michael Bove, Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rootstock under meyers lemon
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:49:40 -0400

I've had a trifoliate orange growing here (MA/RI border) unprotected for a dozen years with never any dieback, even after numerous -10F nights. It's an annual struggle to keep it under 8 feet tall.

Hint -- if you do plant one, make sure it's at least 6-8 feet from any pathways, or you'll be pruning off wayward branches all the time to keep it from attacking passers-by. The thorns on a full-grown one of these beasts are among the nastiest among domesticated plants.

--Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm, Zone 6