nafex - [NAFEX] Gillette fig

  • From: Gene <fidleir@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Gillette fig
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:10:19 +0200 (CEST)

Gillette belongs to a small group of persistent, edible caprifigs.  The first crop has the charactistics of the profichi, without the wasps, the second crop is normal.  I have it in my collection under it's Maltese name "Bajtar ta’ San Ġwann".  It's named St. John/San Ġwann/San Giovanni because the first crop ripens around the time of the feast of St. John (June 24).  I believe it's appreciated more for the early crop rather than for any exceptional taste.

Message: 6