nafex - Re: [NAFEX] flowering quince

  • From: derry&bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] flowering quince
  • Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:31:50 -0700

I sure wouldn't plant Chaenomales sp. in my garden again.

It looks magnificent in bloom if 'espaliered' against a fence, but it suckers horrendously and those suckers are like rods of iron when you try to cut them back. After a few years you have many suckers coming up from the base of the plant, crowding your flower bed, and they are almost impossible to remove.

Derry Walsh
south coastal B.C.

Paul Cabe wrote:
We are planning to plant some flowering quince (Chaenomeles) for
landscaping purposes.