nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Attn Lee Reich - Seaberry

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Attn Lee Reich - Seaberry
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:18:59 -0700

The main edible honeysuckle being sold now is a Siberian type that doesn't do well in much of the U.S. "Haskap" is a type being bred by Dr. Maxine Thompson on USDA land at Oregon State U. from Japanese material. I have worked with her and have tried the Haskap and it is far superior to the common stuff. About like a tart blueberry, it makes excellent pie and preserves, with other types still in breeding. Dr. Thompson hasn't officially released any of her material yet, though some is being tested in several places. I believe the U. of Saskatchewan is one of the collaborating institutions that is testing her material along with some of the Siberian types.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com