nafex - [NAFEX] anyone else growing yellow black raspberries?

  • From: "Pete Tallman" <pete_tallman@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] anyone else growing yellow black raspberries?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:20:06 -0600

In reference to Michael Bove inquiring about yellow-colored "black" raspberries, I have had a couple sent to me by correspondents over the past decade. In the past, I have also had dirty-white and red-orange colors I found in Hudson Valley, NY. None are of the quality that I would keep around in preference to good-quality black ones. I've selected sample red-orange and garnet-red seedlings to keep around for a little while longer. (Seeds available if anyone wants them.) I bypass the nomenclature problem by calling them "yellowcaps" and "redcaps", for example. Main advantage is that the birds don't bother the off-colored ones nearly as much as they do the real blacks. In general, black raspberries seem to tolerate poorer soil and shadier conditions better than do many other brambles.

I'm curious whether you can describe the odd taste of yours? (I know that's not usually easy.)

Pete Tallman
Longmont, CO

i'm making a difference. Make every IM count for the cause of your choice. Join Now. http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0080000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=hmtagline