nafex - [NAFEX] Pears

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pears
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:47:17 -0700 (PDT)

Someone gave me some Bosc pears last year and I was in heaven - I must
have pear trees! But I've been waiting for the perfect variety to
become clear. The Boscs were so good but I'm not a fan of russeting.
They dried divinely. I love the strongly aromatic pears, a good
Barlett is like that too.

Bosc, Ubileen, Rescue, Highland and Comice are possible. Also Blake's
Pride or Atlantic Queen sound good.

I don't think Rescue has the aroma, and Bosc and Comice are common.
is Ubileen any good? Highland is BarlettxComice; how does it compare
to it's parents? But I think a green pear might have more chance
against the birds.

(side note: I do have a multi-grafted asian pear + bartlett. It's a
very funny looking tree, the asian pear branches sort of go out and
curve down, while the barlett branches go mostly straight up).

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.