nafex - [NAFEX] anyone else growing yellow black raspberries?

  • From: "V. Michael Bove, Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] anyone else growing yellow black raspberries?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:22:18 -0400

I'm wondering whether anyone else on the list is growing "black" raspberries that have bud-sported over to producing yellowish fruit. I have a couple of such plants that I believe to have originated a number of years ago in a batch of rooted Cumberland cuttings. They're a little more vigorous than the other blacks, have a decidedly odd taste that nevertheless goes okay with vanilla ice cream, and the fruit has a really unattractive color scheme (imagine Gulden's brown mustard with faint streaks of black shoe polish running through it), but _darn_ are they productive even in the unirrigated acidic weedy and poorly-lit corner to which they've been exiled.
--Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm, MA/RI border (zone 6)