nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pruning peach to central leader

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pruning peach to central leader
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:00:22 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Many (most?) commercial peach orchards in California train their trees to a
central leader. Greater production. Part of the reason CA is the #1 peach
producer in the US. The real reason commercial producers in the East use an
open center is because labor is paid by the piece, whereas peach harvesters
in CA are generally paid by the hour. Improves quality of the harvested
product as well.

In my previous backyard orchard, all my peaches were trained to a central
leader (NC) and they performed very well. I had to use a ladder to get some
of the fruit & to thin, but the trees were healthy and productive through
their 6th leaf (when I moved away).

Anton
Zone 8