nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Differentiating Morus Nigra, Alba, Rubra

  • From: "Glen Skinner" <glenkskinner@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Differentiating Morus Nigra, Alba, Rubra
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:38:06 -0500

It is unlikely that they are M. nigra. If there are not many older M. alba trees around, your trees are probably M. rubra.

This website will allow you to distinguish any that are pure species:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=121220

Generally, M. rubra leaves are rough on top and have some fuzz on the bottom. M. alba tends to be smooth on top and have little fuzz on bottom.

Hybrids are possible, and they can be variable. Using keys like the above, hybrids will usually be identified as M. rubra, because they will carry some of the fuzz and roughness characteristics.

Glen

Message: 3