nafex - Re: [NAFEX] zone 5 mulberries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] zone 5 mulberries
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:36:18 -0500

At 10:02 AM 3/21/2007, Jenny wrote:
>I'm going to plant a weeping mulberry this spring, but now I'm wondering
how
>that will compare in taste and productivity to an Illinois?
Then, Tom wrote:
The weeping varieties were selected for "landscaping" purposes, not
fruiting. Just as columnar oaks were bred for growth habit, not acorns.

I've had some reasonably tasty berries from some weeping selections - probably 'Teas Weeping'.
But! If you're going to plant a weeper, you'll need to be certain that you're getting a fruiting(female) selection, which may require ordering from a nursery which propagates edibles. The vast majority of the weeping mulberries in the 'landscape' trade are non-fruiting (male) cultivars, like 'Chaparral'.

Lucky