nafex - Re: [NAFEX] splicing tape

  • From: "K Q" <kumquat@operamail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] splicing tape
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:58:52 -0800

Thanks for the reminder about stretching the tape Tanis. I forgot to say
anything about it, but habitually do it. Did around 500 grafts in 2005 using
this tape.

Everyone should try this tape. Does Parafilm actually stick to itself? This
tape that Tanis and I (and others) use sticks very well to itself, I think it
is called self-vulcanizing or some such word. You can stop in the middle of
wrapping a graft and it does not unwind on you like a rubber band would.
Everything stays put. Think - one very sticky rubber band. Just lovely!

This tape breaks down rapidly in full summer sun. Sometimes as early as a
week. If you want it to last the full season, just wrap a little foil (gum
wrapper etc) around the tape to block destructive UV rays. I like the fact
that it wants to rot so easily!

All who use this technique please thank Tanis. I would not have known squat
about this but she is the one who first posted it several years ago.

Kenneth Q.