nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

  • From: Geoffrey Tolle <Gtolle0709@wowway.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:47:18 -0500

Folks,

I knew that I'd forgotten one - Ensete. The Morgan & Thompson catalog list them as a type of banana but I believe that is appearence only, not genetics. I know that they are grown in the mountains in Ethiopia and I think my contact (now long gone) said that they sometimes got snow in those mountains but I'd be curious about both hardiness and day sensitive. It would be interesting to grow out seedlings and try selecting for hardiness if they are borderline. By the way, one doesn't eat the fruit of ensete. One eats the corm which is usually ground into a flour.

Geoffrey