nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

  • From: "V. Michael Bove Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:24:45 -0500

In zone 6 (RI/MA border) we get 20+ pounds of these things a year from a 10-year-old tree. And use only a few of them.

The fruit takes some getting used to. The juice is so bitter that you need to dilute it a lot in order to make it usable at all. That said, we've made whiskey sours and chiffon pies with them, and a small amount of the juice (say a half-dozen drops) improves the taste of a pitcher of iced tea.

By the way, the thorns are murderous. Even with elbow-length heavy leather gloves and a full-face guard, pruning is not much fun.

--Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm