nafex - [NAFEX] fertilizing pecans

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] fertilizing pecans
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:14:45 -0600

At 07:02 PM 1/18/2007, Mark wrote:
About a month ago I used about 2 cups (dry
measure) around the tree. But it didn't rain for quite a while and the
crystals seemed to evaporate. I'm wondering if it did any good? Also would
it hurt to dose it again this spring.

I'm not certain that December fertilization is going to have been of much
help.
I routinely fertilize(or try to, if I remember) in late March, early May, and early June.
Have a look at this KSU online pub about pecans in KS - http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/hort2/mf1025.pdf
Topgun may weigh in with even better recommendations, &/or an opinion on whether urea or ammonium nitrate is a better source of N for nut trees.

LLP