nafex - [NAFEX] Ammonium Nitrate

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ammonium Nitrate
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:29:19 -0500

A high explosive, all by it's lonesome.
Diesel supercharges it a little.

Google  ANFO  and see what it is. "Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil"

A ship full of A.N. off the Texas coast went boom-boom all by itself.

Ammonium Nitrate can detonate. Sodium or Potassium Nitrate cannot.
A.N. is also an excellent gas generator. It was used for air-bag deployment at one time.
A.N. does not need to be packed into a case to blow up.
Gunpowder does, because it is a gas generator, not an explosive like A.N.

I have used it in some rocket propellant formulae, and on my green vegetables.
Didn't see any different results than 10-10-10 did.
The cheapest dose of Nitrogen fertilizer for the WalMart commando (like me) is lawn fertilizer 28-0-0
And yes, too much will burn the crap out of your plants, really really fast.
(Also watch out; some manufacturers add stuff like sulfur; fine print)

I can't really tell you all about Cation Exchange and so forth, but for me the A.N. was an interesting trial
that yielded a "who cares" result.

Murph