nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sparkleberries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sparkleberries
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:50:13 -0600

Dan was grafting improved blueberry varieties onto the established sparkleberry plants already growing and doing well (though with low fruit production) on his property.

This reminds me of a question that might, or might not, be pertinent. When it comes to soil requirements - acid soil for blueberries, for example - is it the rootstock or the fruiting part of the plant that has these requirements. In other words, could you grow blueberries in an alkaline soil if they were grafted onto a rootstock that would do well there?

Just curious. I've never done any grafting (yet - since it certainly sounds fascinating), but I was wondering how that works.

Bill

--
America has believed that in differentiation, not in uniformity, lies the path of progress. It acted on this belief; it has advanced human happiness, and it has prospered. - Louis D. Brandeis