nafex - [NAFEX] Sparkleberries

  • From: "Doc Lisenby" <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sparkleberries
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:52:14 -0500

I mentioned several years ago about finding plenty of Sparkleberry trees/shrubs on my property which although locals recite eating them by the handful in the forties and fifties, I haven't seen a berry here although they do bloom. I bought a piece of property seventeen miles WNW of here and was surprised to find Sparkleberries growing and bearing plenty of berries in a small patch.
Ironically I live right on the USDA Hardiness Zone line between 7b and 8a. The producing shrubs are in 7b and the non-producing shrubs are in 8a. I am doubtful that this is the reason but it is something which defies any logical explanation I can think of other than herbicide or pesticide use locally.
Doc Lisenby