nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black and purple raspberries

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black and purple raspberries
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:35:19 -0600

I have grown 'Jewell' black raspberry, 'Royalty' purple raspberry and some other red/gold raspberries. I am having so many disease problems that I am taking them out next spring. The 'Jewell' has been most severely affected. The floricanes usually are almost completely defoliated by the time the fruit begins to ripen. The fruit has been ok, but the production is low and the plants are declining. I am replacing them with a wild black raspberry I found last summer that was very vigorous, healthy and productive, with slightly smaller fruit than 'Jewell'.

The 'Royalty' has been the most productive. However, stinkbugs ruin about 20% of the fruit, but you only know it after you taste one. The gold raspberries have produced the best fruit, but not very many. Their main advantage is that birds mostly leave them alone.

Hal

zn6b TN