nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black raspberries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black raspberries
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 08:19:36 -0600

I have some blackcaps on order for this spring, but have never grown them
yet. In general, they're not supposed to be as hardy as thorny blackberries
and red raspberries, and also very susceptible to rust.

I've had a large patch of black raspberries for years, with absolutely no problems with disease or late frosts, even in our highly-variable climate. They've been delicious and worry-free. Except for pruning and picking, work-free, too.

Unfortunately, I don't have any idea what variety they are, since the birds planted them. One cane appeared at the intersection of my garage and a chainlink fence, so I let them spread into the yard in two long rows. Best move I ever made.

Um,... but note that we've been in or near drought conditions for about eight years. It hasn't bothered my black raspberries, but perhaps I'd have had more problems in a wet climate?

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)

--
The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry. - Richard Dawkins