nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black and purple raspberries

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black and purple raspberries
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:57:35 -0500 (EST)

I believe there is a Lowden cultivar of each which you might consider getting
if you run across them.

I don't have any personal experience with either. From reading I get the
impression that neither is up to the most modern cultivars in terms of
quality/productivity. Back in the 1980's one was recommended for the
Canadian Prairie provinces. Both should be well suited for organic
growing.
They are not common, being mostly of interest to those growing for home use.

Edward Lowden was a plant breeder and long-time organic grower who lived
near Hamilton, Ontario (Ancaster?) and died in the 1980's or 90s in his
eighties.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

Bob Sorenson wrote:

> I am considering a new planting of black and purple raspberries and
wonder
> if someone on the list has experience with them.
> In particular can they do well in a zone 5 prone to late spring frosts?
How is the culture compared to red rasp. and blackberries?