nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Goji berries - the new super fruit (Denver Daily News)

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Goji berries - the new super fruit (Denver Daily News)
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:19:47 -0600

We usually buy some dried Lycium berries whenever we get to an oriental grocery They are a nice snack, rather like a cross between raisins and dried tomatoes. I've also soaked them in wine to add to fruit salads. They supposedly are one of a number of famous health foods that are high in the rare element germanium. I have read that the plants are naturalized in parts of Virginia, but though I can get the seeds from the dried fruits to sprout, I can't get them to grow. I suspect that they like sandy well-drained soil, something I can't supply here. I did buy a plant years ago and had it down in the shade by the creek in much better drained soil, where it neither grew nor died till I got the bright idea of moving it (when naturally it did the latter). Lycium is supposed to make a rather thorny floppy bush that's good for covering a tree stump. Donna