nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Goji berries - the new super fruit (Denver Daily News)

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Goji berries - the new super fruit (Denver Daily News)
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:10:49 EST

Before getting too excited about wolfberry/Goji I'd like to point out a few
things:

1] some sellers are getting $12/lb because some magical health property about
the thing has been alleged. It's "the latest thing". These high prices
wil not last long.
2] wolfberries are available real cheap in chinatown. So the high prices at
suburban health food stores aren't to remain
3] they're pleasant. its similar to eating seedless raisins, reddish raisins.
4] The chinese have got a 2,000 year head start at raising the things. And
the current political climate in our country encourages imports.
5] You cannot match the labor costs from china to pick these things. It's
enough of a challenge picking large apples at 1/2 lb each. Already 40-lb
boxes
of Ya Li pears, a much larger fruit, come from china. And much if not most
garlic and ginger.

Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts