nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New book on pomegranates

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New book on pomegranates
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 18:51:51 -0600

POMEGRANATE ROADS By Dr. Gregory Levin
               Floreant Press, 2006

This is a very good plant hunters adventure book with the addition of material from Dr. Levin's early life in Lenningrad during WWII. It shows just how hard that period was for the people there.
It has some interesting information on pomegranates and gives a person a feel for the species. It is not a pomegranate growing book but has some information on the subject. I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in fruit growing, regardless if you are interested in pomegranates, as anyone who loves fruit growing and seaching for different varieties will feel a kinship for Dr. Levin. There are some references to other fruit in the book as the main setting for the book is Turkmenistan in Central Asia; where many fruit are considered native, such as apples, apricots and almonds.   AN EXCELLENT BOOK.

After you read the book you might want to hear Dr. Levin's conversation to other scientists and a reporter, to give the book a special feel. Go to: http://savvytraveler.publicradio.org/show/features/2001/20010323/feature3.shtml

Note: I guess I feel a little biased as I helped do a little editing on the book before it was published.

You can go to our website www.oakcreekorchard.com to get a little more information on pomegranates if you are interested. Some of the varieties listed in the variety section of our website came from Dr. Levin in Turkmenistan. I will be distributing cuttings to NAFEX members of some of these Central Asian pomegranates again this year.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard