nafex - [NAFEX] high tunnels and fruit production

  • From: Rondi <nafex@mokalive.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] high tunnels and fruit production
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:23:57 -0600

Hey, I've been reading a bit about strawberries under high tunnels (planted in soil) and wondering if anyone here has done this. From what I understand when the berries and high tunnel is coupled with drip lines there is control over spring hazards such as drought, blossom frost damage and insect damage. Once blooms are present and day temps are above freezing that the sides are put up for pollination and circulation.

I have a patch about 13 x 20 I'm thinking of doing this with and would love to talk with others experimenting like this. I have bees and thought about sticking a nuc (starter hive) in to help with pollination. Also, this technique is being tested on extending raspberry production in the fall. What other possibilities are there with fruit?

Rondi