nafex - Re: [NAFEX] high tunnels and fruit production

  • From: kim maser <kimk_maser@yahoo.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] high tunnels and fruit production
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:18:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi Rondi- Strawberries and raspberries do quite well with high tunnels. I'm going to experiment with PrimeJim and PrimeJan blackberries here as well. I'm also going to try some hardier seedless grapes and try some winter protection techniques. The tunnels give you a some control over the climate especially in colder areas.

Kim Maser
Zone 3/ Zone 4
Canada

Rondi <nafex@mokalive.com> wrote:
Hey, I've been reading a bit about strawberries under high tunnels
(planted in soil) and wondering if anyone here has done this. From what
I understand when the berries and high tunnel is coupled with drip
lines there is control over spring hazards such as drought, blossom
frost damage and insect damage. Once blooms are present and day temps
are above freezing that the sides are put up for pollination and
circulation.

I have a patch about 13 x 20 I'm thinking of doing this with and would
love to talk with others experimenting like this. I have bees and
thought about sticking a nuc (starter hive) in to help with
pollination. Also, this technique is being tested on extending
raspberry production in the fall. What other possibilities are there
with fruit?

Rondi

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.