nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry Mulch

  • From: John Smith <friendly27sw@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry Mulch
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:07:33 -0800 (PST)

At least in our MO zone 5b wildly fluctuating winter
temperatures I think mulching helps protect the plants
a great deal, the key is to wait until mid December
when the lows are well down in the teens, then remove
right away when it's unlikely to drop much below the
teens in early spring. This way the plants are
protected through the worst, but get some sun and air
movement to prevent diseases when things aren't so
harsh. Maybe further North in colder zones you can
get by without mulching because it just stays cold
without as much freeze/thaw.