nafex - [NAFEX] Strawberry Mulch

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Strawberry Mulch
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:10:57 -0600

I mulch my strawberries when I plant them in either of two ways: planting first or mulching first. Mulching first is the easiest; I plant first upon those rare occasions when I don't have sufficient mulch. Ideally, I spread 3" to 4" of pine needles and pat them down as I go to get them to lay as flat as possible. Five years ago, I planted Honeyoe and Cavandish. I only got good production from the Honeyoe for four years so I tilled them under this past Summer. The Cavandish continued to perform well so I'll be harvesting from then for, at least, a sixth year. I started some Annapolis in Spring 2006. 3" to 4" of pine needle mulch is good for about five years of a weed-free strawberry patch; the first few weeds poked through this past season.
And how do I mulch my plants for Winter? Who mulches? Not me. A few years back someone convinced me to mulch my strawberry patch and all that accomplished was killing too many plants - about half of them rotted before I uncovered them. So I never mulched again and I'm not likely to any time soon. Oh, and that year when we didn't get any snow? It didn't seem to bother them any so why mulch?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com
(218)568-8483 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

Any ideas on the best time to mulch strawberries? We've had a strawberry
patch for three years now and never winter mulched. This year I'm trying to
do things right. Jim's mentioned he's had good results with pine needles as
mulch so I thought I'd give them a try. I've been able to acquire bags of
needles but don't know when to put them on. How much should the plants die
back before I cover them? (So far the plants' foliage is as green as ever,
we've only had lows of 30F. And trees are losing their leaves but not fully
dormant.) Also after covering up the plants, do you have to remove the
mulch in the springtime, or will the strawberry plants push up through the
mulch pack?

Thanks,
Mark Angermayer
Zone 5 Kansas