nafex - [NAFEX] Mowing Strawberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mowing Strawberries
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 08:21:15 -0600

I beg to differ. I wouldn't mow my strawberries at this time of year. I mow mine in Late July or no later than Mid-August, immediately after they are done bearing. Mowing then gives the daughter plants a chance to capture some sunlight so they can grow sturdily. Mowing then also disrupts the cycle of disease on the mother plants. Since I don't mow my plants in Late Fall, could it be that the existing leaves make their own mulch?

Hi,

I always thought strawberries were mulched in the spring and the new
plants grew up through the straw.

This kept the berries off the ground.

Since you have straw and berries at the same time, you get "strawberry"/.

At this time of year they are mowed down.

Later,
Tom

  • [NAFEX] Mowing Strawberries, Jim Fruth, 11/01/2006