nafex - Re: [NAFEX] First Buartnut crop

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] First Buartnut crop
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:51:57 -0500

At 04:23 PM 9/24/2006, you wrote:
After 12 years I have my first buartnut crop, maybe 3-4 bushel from 3
trees that are cropping. These are seedling buartnuts from Bear
Creek & based on the huge variety of shapes & sizes of the nuts, I
would say these are in pretty early stages of selection. Or will
there always be a huge variation with the nuts? I'm also wondering
if the fact that I have black walnuts in the area effects the shape
nuts or would that only express itself in the following generation?
Miekal,
I would expect all nuts from a single tree to have similar shape, though size could be variable.
Generally black walnut and the butternut/heartnut/Japanese walnut group don't bloom close enough to concurrently for cross-pollenation to happen readily, and even if it did, I wouldn't anticipate any difference in the nuts - only in those produced by resulting seedlings.

Lucky