nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Selling pawpaws

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher.ls@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Selling pawpaws
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:42:33 -0400

Backyard Fruit Grower (BYFG) had their annual pawpaw "tours" two weekends ago - 9/16 & 9/17.

The Saturday tour is of backyards & home orchards (all trees were selected from the wild as far as I know; no named cultivars at the backyards/orchards we usually visit). I'm told this year's harvest was huge, but I didn't make the Saturday trip - maybe someone who did will chime in. It seems like getting the timing pretty much dead-on this year helped.

The Sunday tour is of a few wild "patches" down along the Susquehanna river. We seemed to be just a bit early this year at our first location, but we still collected quite a few ripe pawpaws. There may have been fewer this year than the most I've seen in past years in that location, but not by much.

At the second location a bit lower and facing more to the west, the pawpaws weren't yet ripe. When we time it right, the fruit has started to fall but most are still on the trees. This time there was nothing on the ground, and shaking the trees didn't get us anything either. Looking up, I did see a fair amount of fruit, but I think noticeably less than I've seen in "banner" past years.

My two Peterson pawpaws (Susquehanna & Shenandoah) were just old enough to flower this spring, but one was early and the other late, so no fruit this year :-( If that happens again next spring, I'll visit a friend with a larger collection a few towns over for some pollen :-)

Pete Chrisbacher
SE PA - Zone 6B