nafex - [NAFEX] First Buartnut crop

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] First Buartnut crop
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:23:35 -0500

After 12 years I have my first buartnut crop, maybe 3-4 bushel from 3 trees that are cropping. These are seedling buartnuts from Bear Creek & based on the huge variety of shapes & sizes of the nuts, I would say these are in pretty early stages of selection. Or will there always be a huge variation with the nuts? I'm also wondering if the fact that I have black walnuts in the area effects the shape nuts or would that only express itself in the following generation?

I'm also looking for any clues about husking them. I use an old hand corn sheller for black walnuts but these are smaller & it's not quite so effective. The shells are also much funkier to crack than regular walnuts, not breaking on the seams. How long to dry them before the nuts are good to eat?

I'll also select out the best nuts for size & heartnut shape to grow out. I wonder if there is anything else that I can visually select for?

~mIEKAL