nafex - [NAFEX] where is everybody?

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] where is everybody?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:56:49 -0700

No posts in 9 days?  Is everyone harvesting?

What little news I have here:  My bagged pomegranates are reddening up.  We’ll see how they do.  The squirrels tore a corner off a couple bags, but the bags are intact and the fruit undamaged.

I wrote last year of my inedibly bitter plums here at the new house.  With a couple years of TLC, this year they filled out, sweetened up, and look like Damsons.  Wow.

I’ve given up on the soil here.  I plan to till under my attempt at garden and cover crop the whole yard with a tilth-builidng, nitrogen-adding, beneficial insect friendly, grass-choking mix: bell beans, winter peas, a couple vetches, and oats.  We’ll see if I can actually grow something next year.  I haven’t dared to put small fruits in after the strawberries did so very poorly.

That’s all the news from Garden Wobegon…

~ S