nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RapeSeedMythology

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RapeSeedMythology
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:54:37 -0700

It is confusing. I found sources that say no gm, others that say yes.
Whole Foods stores have a fairly succinct summary:

"Is Canola genetically engineered?
No. Canola oil is a variety of rapeseed that was bred through traditional
plant breeding methods in the 1970s to contain less erucic acid - its
development predated genetic engineering by almost 20 years. Traditional
plant breeding methods involve selecting desired traits followed by crossing
these traits into existing varieties until the offspring exhibit the desired
characteristics. But, while it is true that canola oil was not originally
developed using genetic engineering methods, today some forms of canola are
genetically engineered. In order to avoid genetically engineered canola oil,
it is recommended to buy organic canola oil, which by definition would not
be genetically modified."

Copyright 2001-2006 Whole Foods Market, reprinted with permission

Stephen