nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RapeSeedMythology

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RapeSeedMythology
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:50:39 -0700

Canola oil is from plants bred to nearly eliminate a fraction of the oil
that is harmful to people who breathe in the smoke from burning oil.
Rapeseed oil has been used for centuries, and lung problems occurred, but
were tolerated, in places that used it to cook over extremely high heat -
think wok cooking. It's a common belief that the seed used to produce the
oil was genetically modified, but what I've read indicates that it is not.

Stephen