nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RapeSeedMythology

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RapeSeedMythology
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:41:14 -0400

> It's a common belief that the seed used to produce the
oil was genetically modified, but what I've read
> indicates that it is not.

If I read your statement correctly, you're saying that canola oil is not prepared from genetically modified (GMO) seed? If so, I would check your source. Not only is it used, it now contaminates most rape to oil production. Additionally, Monsanto has been extremely agressive with Canadian farmers...even those whose fields were contaminated from pollen blown into their crops. As long as it contains GMO DNA, Monsanto feels it is due cash, and unfortunately, even the supreme court in Canada has agreed...even on nearby fields owned by the same farmer in which NO GMO DNA had been found...but they felt would logically be contaminated through pollination. Some time ago I saw a group of farmers discussing other tactics by company minions sent out to ferret out GMO DNA. They said some had been promised goods and/or money for telling on neighbors, there were numerous accounts of tresspassing, etc.