nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RapeSeedMythology

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RapeSeedMythology
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 23:50:15 -0400

On Aug 9, 2006, at 11:41 PM, mangodance wrote:

It's a common belief that the seed used to produce the
oil was genetically modified, but what I've read
indicates that it is not.

If I read your statement correctly, you're saying that canola oil is not
prepared from genetically modified (GMO) seed? If so, I would check
your source. . . .

This is a confusing topic, because there have been false claims that canola oil crop was developed through genetic engineering.

1) The crop plant was originally bred from ordinary rape through ordinary selective breeding. This reduced the toxins in the oil to the point where it was practical to refine it for human food.

2) Since then Monsanto has genetically engineered a version of canola that is resistant to RoundUp. The vast majority of the crop is currently genetically engineered, if I remember my facts right. And Mr. Mangodance is right about the peculiar legal theory that has prevailed under which a Canadian farmer growing non GMO rape or canola whose crop is contaminated by pollen from a nearby field of Monsanto canola is guilty of "theft" if he doesn't pay royalties (or something?) to Monsanto.

Ginda