nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blackberry and orange rust

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blackberry and orange rust
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 23:38:53 -0400

Speaking of blackberries. . .   I've never bought any, because I have sickly wild blackberries that are infected with orange rust, so I figured it wasn't worth trying.  But Joan Rosenberg sent me a Fort Kent King blackberry last spring, and  it's doing quite well.  I put it in a half barrel because she warned me that they are invasive.  I've been careful not to touch the wild ones before touching the the potted one.  I ripped out a lot of the wild ones, too.  And despite loads of rain, I haven't noticed orange rust in the remaining wild ones this year. . .  so maybe I've just been temporarily lucky.  But the Fort Kent King looks perfectly healthy and has a small crop this year.  The berries are smallish (low grade rust?) but they are plentiful for such a small plant, and they taste great.

Anyone else have experience growing blackberries despite orange rust?

Ginda