nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blackberry Neophyte

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blackberry Neophyte
  • Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 16:31:14 -0700

I used to use a sulfur wash for drying fruit – it was also either the same sulfite that used to be used at salad bars to keep veggies from browning, before there was a big to-do about the few people allergic to it.  Don’t have a specific source, but it might be on some drying/canning or winemaking sites.  Drugstores and health food stores sometimes carry it.  I think I got mine from a gardening catalog.

The sodium sulfite solution is 1-2 tablespoons per gallon, or about a half teaspoon per pint.  Dip quickly, let the fruit dry, and it will keep much longer than it would otherwise.  Rinse before use – you should not taste any sulfite at all.

Stephen