nafex - Re: [NAFEX] elderberries under black-walnuts

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] elderberries under black-walnuts
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:24:18 -0700

If someone was thinking of allelopathy here, the juglone exuded by the black
walnut may persist in the soil long enough to have an effect. However,
elderberries are not affected by it. Shade would have been the problem.

I'll let someone else answer about how long they take to flower from seed,
but it seems to me it's less than 3 years.

111 degrees today.

Stephen