nafex - [NAFEX] elderberries under black-walnuts

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] elderberries under black-walnuts
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:13:24 -0700 (PDT)

Last winter someone asked if elderberries would produce under black-walnut
trees.
The Sambucus canadensis was recently in full bloom, so I hiked a loop thru the
neighbor's black-walnut grove. The oldest trees there are about 50 years,
and they
have been spreading via seeds ever since those originals produced nuts. It
is not a
large area, but big enough to wonder about trends (like, "no poison-ivy?!")

I noticed no Sambucus can., nor the locally more common S. pubescens. But, I
was
watching for the white flowers of the first and the red berries of the
second. I
stumbled on no non-fruiting plants of either. I thought I might see some
S.can in
the younger part of the grove, because it is lower & wetter, but no. Overall
I also
thought there were far fewer buckthorns & honeysuckles than under oaks, but a
detailed survey might debunk that. Yes I asked the neighbors if they'd done
any
brush removal or pioson-ivy control in the grove, and they said they hadn't.

Understory was primarily black-raspberries (fruiting where shade was thin),
gooseberry (fruiting in pretty heavy shade), w/ a couple each chokecherry &
nannyberry. Sandy/ sandy loam soil over gravel.

tc, s.WI, where we get 3" rain every 3 weeks-- isn't that the same as 1" per
week ?!!