nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Tree and goat care

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit Tree and goat care
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:08:50 -0500

At 02:07 PM 7/13/2006, Donna wrote:
Sheep, by contrast, much prefer grass and don't stand up on their hind
legs to get things they shouldn't. They WILL bark trees from time to time,
just for a change I suppose. We never saw our sheep eat anything but grass,
but I have read other people's laments about bark eating.
I'm a lot less familiar with sheep (aka pasture lice, range maggots. LOL) than I am goats, but there are some breeds that are noted for their browsing habits - I probably need to email my sheep buddy up in VA, to get her to refresh my memory, but seems like it was either Finns or Lincolns - but it could be both, or neither.
Regardless, I'd be inclined to agree with Donna, that it would probably be easier to protect fruit trees/ berry bushes from sheep than from goats.

Lucky