nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach leaf curl

  • From: "Dianne Stephany" <iluvdanc@rochester.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach leaf curl
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 17:33:43 -0400

HI
We are in Rochester NY, zone 5b, and have peach leaf clurl worse this year than last also. I sprayed with diluted Neem oil ( as directed from the bottle of 70% stock bought at a garden supply store) and the leaves have come back without the orange-yellow curl. We only sprayed once, but then only a limited amount of leaves on the lower limbs were affected. We also sprayed about 2 weeks later with B. subtilis -Serenade, Gardens Alive, which may also had a positive effect. The product label says it will suppress peach leaf curl. We have also been practing good orchard management of raking downed leaves etc and disposing of them in the trash. I also had some serenade and neem left over and sprayed the ground around the trees.

I had thinned more aggressively than usual due to the leaf curl- but we are still going to have more peaches this year than 2 years ago. This tree is a 5 yr old Starfire, and I am not sure of its reported resistance to peach leaf curl. Last year the late frost got them all.

This late fall we are planning on spraying when 90%+ of the leaves are gone and also again in the very early spring but haven't decided on with what. Web sources suggest a number of sprays, such as sulfur- lime. Any suggestions? I would think that lime would change the alkalinity of the soil and we are on heavy, alkaline clay.

BTW, we had 49 qts of red currants this year! up from 32 from last year. Made lots of red currant jam and one unplanned & unexpected batch of red currant candy/caramel. My husband wants me to melt down some of the jelly to make a candy for Christmas presents! Any one had any experience with making candy from fruit juice?

Dianne Stephany

----- Original Message ----- From: "akmanty" <akmanty@localnet.com>