nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum Curcullio Question

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum Curcullio Question
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:28:31 -0700

Yes, they're pheromone traps. Some organic orchards use confusion (OFM
traps use the same principal) lures, which work well and are less expensive
- but not suitable (at least the codling moth confusion lures) for under one
hectare. With healthy soil and a balanced beneficial insect population, one
trap per tree provided control. You can also use one trap per several trees
to know when a flight's occurring, and react to it. Yes, I used to get my
organic stock from Peaceful Valley back when Bob operated it out of a little
shack. I still order from them out of habit, but the price and selection
seem pretty good, and shipping is cheap, since they're nearby. Trapping
isn't necessarily the cheapest control - the lures are $3.50 each, and one
flight will fill the traps, necessitating a new lure. The cost per season
can be as high as $14 per tree. I got away with only one change per season,
and I was prepared to spray with biological pesticides if needed. I have
read reports that even in less optimum conditions, you can get very good
control just by trapping out.

Stephen Sadler
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate