nafex - [NAFEX] Crazy looking Plum fruit

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Crazy looking Plum fruit
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:13:00 -0600

Hello all,

A neighbour of mine has two wild plums (prunus nigra) that have some interestingly shaped fruit this year.

95% of the fruit is the typical wild plum shape and size; green and about a quarter in size so far. The rest of the fruit is a brown mottled color, very large and has many different shapes; some like a bell pepper, others like a giant jalopeno, and others like some dog went up into the tree and did his business.

I handled one of the wierd fruit, and it was light in weight and kinda spongy like someone blew up a giant puffed wheat.

Although it is rare in our climate, I have seen brown rot and it doesn't appear to be that. We have had alot more moisture in the last two weeks than normal, and high humidity.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks!

Dean Kreutzer
Over the Hill Orchards