nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoon Selection

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saskatoon Selection
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:41:18 -0400

I took great care in selecting a Serviceberry which could survive the warm climate of South Carolina and succeeded, only to find that Quince Rust negates any crop production. Any suggestions? QR also ruins all Mayhaw fruit here. They both are decorative and attractive but not berry/fruit producers here.
I highly recommend you take Tanis up on her offer to supply you with some Egyptian/Walking/Top-set Onions. We gardeners in the South who like a all-season supply of onions have been growing them for as long as I can remember. They aren't any competition. taste-wise, to Bermudas or Valdostas but the tops go well in Oriental dishes and either the bulbs or top-sets will give an onion flavor to soups, etc. I heard somewhere that onions are the mostly commonly eaten single food in the World.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8