nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Moving sensitive plants

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Moving sensitive plants
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:54:44 -0400

Here is a method for transplanting trees in full leaf (small trees).
"Once the tree is transplanted, you then cover the tree with a black plastic
bag entirely. You make a temporary support around the tree with branches or
sticks so that the plastic bag is like a tent and does not rest directly on
the tree. The idea is to conserve humidity and provide complete darkness.
You leave the tree in complete darkness for at least a week to create a long
night so that the tree has a chance to establish survival roots. You remove
the plastic on a cloudy day."
The method was described by an enthousiastic kiwi grower giving a talk at a
Nafex meeting in Pennsylvania, years ago. I do not remember the name of this
man.
But, I first transplanted successfully a grape in July with this method and
I have used for other small trees during the growing season, since. I
suppose it would work for annuals that are difficult such as squash.
It's more work but sometimes good results warrants additional work.
Good luck!