nafex - [NAFEX] Mulberry Question

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulberry Question
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 08:30:50 -0500

My first Morus alba came from a zone 4 nursery that was somehow
connected with what is now called Edible Forest Nursery in Wisconsin. The
fellow who sold it to me said that his trees get beat up after really cold
winters but suggested I try one anyway. Well. my tree made it through the
coldest of my winters and croaked after one of the mildest, the year after
its first pistilate flowers.
That nursery is long gone, out of business, so I bought two more Morus
alba from McKay Nursery. They have yet to bloom. The two that are blooming
now, having pistilate flowers, are both Illinois Everbearing, rated for zone
4 (I'm in zone 3). I don't remember (for sure) who I bought them from but I
think it was Hartmann Nursery.
I have a theory about zone ratings that seems to usually hold true: My
theory holds that nurseries do not want to have to replace plants that
failed to thrive through a customer's winter so they hedge on the zone
rating. I know I do it with my "Zone 3" black raspberries that do thrive in
zone 2. So, if someone has a plant, that I want, that is rated for zone 4,
I try it. I have been, only rarely, disappointed. Of course, everything I
plant gets optimal care with sufficient water and yearly fertilizer.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm