nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry Question

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry Question
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:04:06 -0500

Title: RE: [NAFEX] Mulberry Question

Jim, the Fruit Facts bulletin of the California Rare Fruit Growers (see http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mulberry.html) has this to say about mulberries:

"Flowers: Mulberry trees are either dioecious or monoecious, and sometimes will change from one sex to another. The flowers are held on short, green, pendulous, nondescript catkins that appear in the axils of the current season's growth and on spurs on older wood. They are wind pollinated and some cultivars will set fruit without any pollination. Cross-pollination is not necessary. In California mulberries set fruit without pollination."

On our farm in Kansas, some of the Russian mulberries were male trees, some female, and I suspect some had both sexes on the tree because they were fruitful even though they were isolated,  growing far from any other M. alba trees.

At any rate, congratulations on getting mulberries to grow so far north.  Where did you get your stock? -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Hardiness Zone 4b)